Written by Lyn PetersonMonday, 06 February 2012 12:10
Two billion transactions is the maximum QuickBooks can handle, but a real measure of limitation is the amount of hard drive space on the computer and not the QuickBooks program. With that said, if the need to find out how many entries are on a list or the the file size, follow the instructions below for this information.
- Open QuickBooks
- If you use your Function keys on the keyboard
- Hold down the CTRL key
- Now push the 1 above the Q & W on the keyboard
- With the Product Information window open
- File Size is in the middle left on the screen
- List Information is in a box on the right side of the screen
- If your Function keys are not in use on the keyboard
- Push the F2 Function key
- The Product Information window will open
- File Size and List Information are in the same locations
QuickBooks Premier/Pro are designed for small businesses with annual revenues of less than $20 million and 20 employees or fewer. With previous business history with detailed transactions of importance, QuickBooks Premier/Pro programs are intended to store two years of information per company file to allow the comparison of performance between the years.
Growth rate of a company file can differ dramatically from company to company. In reality, there is not such thing as an “average” file size. The file size will grow dependent on how transactions are entered. In one file where there is not a lot of information per transaction, the file will be smaller and QuickBooks may never be outgrown until it is time to update for some other reason.
As an example:
- Company 1
- Enters 250 invoices per month
- Invoice have one item on each
- Company 2
- Enters 250 invoices per month
- Invoice has 10 items on each
Company 2 will have more “links” to the different accounts in QuickBooks because of the amount of items on the invoice. Because of this, the company file will grow quicker than Company 1. Here is the best way to see if QuickBooks will work for your business, or if QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions will be better suited.
- Count the number of transactions per month
Note: An invoice, payment and deposit are three different transactions. A bill and payment would be two transactions.
- Multiply the number of transactions by 2KB
This should determine the approximate rate of growth per month of the company file. If the company averages 300 transactions per month, the company file in QuickBooks will grow approximately 600KB per month. Take the 600KB per month, multiply by 12. Now the file is 7200KB per year. If the annual company file is below 15,000KB per year, QuickBooks should work for the company.
Note: The example above does not include any list information. When new list elements are added, this increases the file size also. This estimate is not suitable for all QuickBooks company files.
QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions
As the most powerful QuickBooks product, QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions is designed for a larger, growing business. With the flexibility and power to meet a mid-size company’s unique needs, with the ability to include multiple sites, the cost is thousands less than a more complicated accounting system.
QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions includes all of the features of QuickBooks Premier and Pro along with:
- Simultaneous user capacity up to 30 licenses (six times more than QuickBooks Premier and Pro)
- Consolidated reporting from multiple locations or company files
- Can track hundreds of thousands of inventory items, customers and vendors
List Comparisons: QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions and QuickBooks Premier/Pro
Max – Enterprise Solutions
Max – Premier/Pro
|Chart of Accounts||10,000||10,000|
|Items, including inventory items (Group items can contain only 20 individual items.)||>100,000||10,000|
|A/R terms and A/P terms total||29,000||10,000|
|To Do notes||10,000||10,000|
|Total names: employees, customers, vendors, unit of measures and other names combined||>100,000||14,500|
|Sales Tax Codes||10,000||10,000|
|Advanced Inventory Sites||200||N/A|
|< Prev||Next >|