Questions on the software? Call us at 800-609-0788!
With the Advanced Inventory module, QuickBooks Enterprise now has Barcode capability for items.
But it is not very clear how to turn this on.
First, go into Edit, Preferences.
Then, on the left, select “Items and Inventory”.
On the My Preferences Tab, select “Enable My Barcode Scanner”.
Next, click on the Company Preferences Tab.
There will be an “Advanced Inventory Settings” button. Click on this.
There will be a checkbox for “Enable Barcode Scanning”, Click on this, then select the “Open Barcode Wizard” button.
The default selection will be “ I do not currently track Barcodes”
There are several selections available.
- Select what you want the wizard to do from the dropdown menu from the following:
- I don’t currently track barcodes in QuickBooks,
- Copy barcodes from the Item Name field,
- Copy barcodes from the Manufacturer’s Part Number,
- Copy barcodes from Purchase Information,
- Copy barcodes from Custom Field XXXXXX – choose which custom fields have the barcodes.
- Click Next.
- Decide if you want QuickBooks to create new barcodes for you. If you want the wizard to create them, check either the box that says All Items or individually select which items you want the wizard to create for you (see figure 3).
- Click Next, Finish, then OK on the wizard windows.
- Click OK to close the Advanced Inventory Settings window.
- Click OK to close the Preferences window.
- Click OK to close the Warning QuickBooks must close all its open windows to change this preference window.
- Click OK to close the QuickBooks Information window telling you how many barcodes were generated.
QuickBooks has now entered the barcodes into your company file.
To see the barcodes created by the Barcode Wizard:
To see the barcodes in the Item List:
- Open the Item List by either clicking on the Items & Services icon on the Home page or clicking on the Item List in the Lists menu dropdown.
- Either click on the Item button or highlight one item and right click.
- Click on Customize Columns in the dropdown window.
- In the Available Columns choose Barcode (and/or Barcode Image) and adjust placement of the columns.
- Click OK to close Customize Columns – Item List window.
- In Item List, adjust columns to desired widths.
To see and print out the Item Barcode List:
- Click on the Reports menu dropdown.
- Click on Inventory.
- Click on Item Barcodes list report.
- Print out report.
As we can see, barcoding is a great capability to be added. Now we just have to get used to using it.
For more information on using the scanner, see our other article on Barcode Scanning in Enterprise.
|< Prev||Next >|